The Government Information Center

සිංහල Tamil
default style green style red style
YOU ARE HERE: Home Citizen's Registrations Citizenship Obtaining Duplicate Identity Card Copies
Question and Answer Type Full Information View

Obtaining Duplicate Identity Card Copies

PDF Print Email

Request for a Duplicate in respect of a lost ID card.

Obtaining an Application

  1. From the Grama Niladhari of the applicant’s�residential area;
  2. From the Estate superintendant (if the applicant resides in an estate);
Documents required obtaining a duplicate ID:
  1. Duly completed RPD Form 7
  2. Original copy of the complaint lodged in the Police Station to state that the NIC has been lost. This complaint should be lodged during last six month.
  3. Five colour photographs of the size of 1 ⅜” X ⅞”
  4. Stamps to a value of Rs. 15/=
  5. Originals of Birth Certificate, Probable Age Certificate or the “results of search of registers”.
(Applicant who forward the “results of search of registers”, need to be submitted an affidavit obtained from Justice of Peace (JP) and two or more following documents along with to confirm the date of birth.)
  • School leaving certificate
  • Certificate of Baptism
  • Copies of Birth certificates of children of the applicant, (if the date of birth of the applicant indicated )
  • Extract of the birth certificate of the applicant
  • Citizenship certificate of Sri Lanka (if the date of birth indicated)
  • Estate leaving certificate (if the date of birth indicated)
  • Certified copies of relevant pages of the Passport
  • Registration card issued by the Estate Superintendent
  • Horoscope (if available)
  1. Applicants, who wish to include their occupation/designation in the ID card, should submit a service certificate obtained during the last three months. Professionals also need to submit documentary evidence, in case if they wish to include their profession in the ID card.(I.e. Engineers, Doctors, Accountants, Lawyers should submit relevant Degree certificates). In case of the Businessmen, they need to submit a certified copy of the Business Registration certificate.
  2. Documentary evidence such as Passport, Bank Book, Driving License etc. to certify that the number of lost ID has been used in the past.
  3. Grama Niladhari certificate to confirm the residential place.
  4. Procedure to be confirm the Priest status of applicants-
  • Buddhist cleric should submit the “Certificate of Ordain” or “Upasampada Certificate” issued by the Department of Buddhist Affairs
  • “Dasasil Matha” should submit the registration certificate issued by the Department of Buddhist Affairs
  • Islamic priest should submit the certificate issued by the Department of Islamic Religious Affairs
  • Hindu priest should submit the certificate issued by the Department of Hindu Religious Affairs
  • Catholic priest should submit certificate issued by the head of relevant catholic religious chapters

Applicants, who have changed the status of Buddhist clergy, should submit the certificate issued by the Department of Buddhist affairs.

Organization Information

Department of Registration of Persons

Department of Registration of Persons,
10th Floor,
Sri Subhuthipura Road,

Mr. T.D. Koralegedara
Fax Nos:+94-11-2862290

Related Services

Complain Relating to Missing NIC and Electronic Equipments.

Make a Complaint
Last Updated On: 2010-10-05 11:59:38
ICTA Awards

Contact Us

Latest News

Q & A on Coronaviruses

English / Sinhala / Tamil

Digital Intermediary Services

  » Train Schedule

Stay Connected

Last Update : 2022-11-16
Number of visitors:
Online Now : 2


Please provide following details

Please Fill Empty Fields
Invalid Contact Number
Name can contain only letters

Message can't be empty