INSTRUCTION FOR OVERSEAS APPLICANTS
A Sri Lankan citizen can apply for a new passport or passport renewal, while he is in another country, through the Sri Lankan Mission in that country or in the nearest country (where a Sri Lankan misssion is not available in the resident country). These applications are processed by the Overseas Missions Branch at the Head Office of Department of Immigration and Emigration Immigration.
- Procedure to be followed at the Sri Lanka Diplomatic Missions
- Duly filled application form (Form ‘K’- 35 A) with other supporting documents to be submitted to the Sri Lanka Embassy / Consulate Office.
- Passport Application Form (Form ‘K’- 35 A) has now been revised to include a Client Undertaking Section (CUS). This section has to be signed by the applicant and hand over to consular officer. No application will be accepted without applicant’s signature in CUS.
- Every applicant will be issued a special Instruction Note at the point of handing over the passport application which explains procedures to be followed.
- Printed application form (Form ‘K’- 35 A) could be collected from the Sri Lanka Diplomatic Mission/ Consular division in each country and this website.
- Download Form K - 35 A passport application (Only for overseas applicants)
How to submit applications through Overseas Sri Lankan Missions:
Documents required: see Downloads - Applications
Relevant Circular : OM/2021/01
- Fingerprints will be captured from overseas applicants on their first visit to Sri Lanka w. e. f. 1st January 2018
- Applicant who has been issued a new passport from 01/01/2018, the following procedures to be followed at the Port of entry.
- Passenger to report to primary Immigration counter
Report directly to the Chief Immigration Officer (CIO) at the port of entry.
- Biometric Data Acquisition (BDA) form will be issued to the passenger with a unique reference number,
- The BDA should be signed in two copies by the passenger
- One copy of the BDA is given to the passenger to produce at the DIE at the time of biometrics enrolment
- Other copy will be retained at the airport
There are no facilities at port of departure to provide biometrics.
- Procedures after entering Sri Lanka - at the Department of Immigration head office or regional office:
- Passenger reports to the DIE Head Office or any Regional Office (Matara/ Kandy/ Vavuniya/ Kurunegala)
- Fingerprint is captured at a special counter arranged at the OM Division
- Approximate waiting time is 30-45 minutes for this event.
- Border control system will be updated to allow the passenger departure from Sri Lanka.
Relevant Circular for finger prints : DIE/OM/CIR/2017/01
Deputy Controller - Mr. Janaka Premarathna
Deputy Controller - Mr. E. D. M. P. K. Dhanapala
Tel +94 11 5329230 Ext 9230
Fax +94 11 2879213
Applicable fees for applications logged at Sri Lankan Missions Abroad.
See Circulars below,
How can I get Certification of a copy of the main data page of a Passport ?
Certification service is provided by the Overseas Missions Branch of Department of Immigration and Emigration.
What are the documents required to obtain this service ?
Original Passport and the copies to be certified
What are the fees applicable for this service ?
LKR 300.00 per each copy.
An Arabic translation of the main page data and related endorsements is provided at the Overseas Missions Branch at Department of Immigration & Emigration.
What is the procedure for obtaining a translation of my passport ?
Applicant must present him/her self at the Head Office of the Department of Immigration & Emigration with his/her Passport.
What is the fee applicable for this service ?
LKR 1200.00 per passport translation
Organization InformationDepartment of Immigration & Emigration
Sri Subhuthipura Road,
Mr. H. M. I. K. Herath